/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - January 2013
Note from Nina:
We've gotten confirmation for the next Waddy Wachtel Band gig - February 23, 2013 at The Joint in Los Angeles. Yay! Mark your calendars, and I'll remind you.
The Waddy Wachtel Band gave us all another fantastic night of rock 'n' roll at The Joint on January 19. Now we know the New Year is off to a wonderful Rockin' start!
It was a full house - packed with the BEST audience any band, club and attendees could ask for. So, I want to thank all of you who came to rock it up with WWB on behalf of Waddy Wachtel, Phil Jones, Rick Rosas, Bernard Fowler, Brett Tuggle, Jamie Savko, Blondie Chaplin, Keith Allison, Mindi Abair and Ron Dzuibla. YOU all made the night deeeeelightful!
Here's my little recap with song info for those who were there, and a slight vision into how great the night was for those who weren't lucky enough to have joined us:
Opening the night with "Highway To Hell" was a fire starter. Burnin' from the the first note! Jamie showed what an exceptional singer he is, and with the perfect performance by Waddy, Phil, Rick and Brett - they made us happy we were on the Highway with them.
Mindi Abair joined WWB on sax for the next song "Rip This Joint." They sure did. Seeing beautiful little Mindi blow on that big brass horn - she's a total pro. Thumbs up to Mindi!
Bernard Fowler then thrilled everyone with his lead vocals on "Heroes." We were all raising one finger in the air with him when he sang "just for one day." Everyone on that stage were our heroes!
By that time, we knew....... as Bernard sang "You Got Me Rockin' " - with Waddy doing some incredible stuff playing slide guitar, Blondie and Waddy joining in on harmony vocals and Brett smoothly laying down the keyboard parts..... They definitely got us rockin'.
Blondie moved to center stage for the next 2 songs, and magically worked his vocal chords showing what a great singer he is. Rockin' rendition of Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money" and beautiful smoothness on "Sail on Sailor." We wanted to sail with him - and we all did!
Brett was back with WWB for this gig - before heading out on tour with Fleetwood Mac. We'll miss him when he's gone. No one does "All the Way to Memphis" like he does on vocals and keyboards. He gave us a big treat performing that one at the gig with Mindi wailing on sax and Waddy playing some burnin' guitar!
It was great having Keith Allison back with us too. Since he couldn't make it to the last "Holiday" show, I told him we missed him singing "Run Run Rudolph." He said: "I'll do it tonight." Thank you, Keith! Then he slayed us all with "Parachute Woman" - vocals, guitar and a tasty bit of harmonica.
Then in a perfect segue into another flavor, Jamie came on and gave everyone spine tingles with his vocals on "Immigrant Song." Amazing Jamie!
To finish the first set, Brett played keyboards and sang "I Am the Walrus" - a tune taken to new levels by WWB. A favorite for everyone. Brett, Waddy, Phil and Rick on that tune? Takes you to another planet! Mesmerizing!
What a great first set! All that talent up there - for us! I told you it was gonna be a really big show! Could it get any better? Another set on the way!
I'm getting kinda tired now from all that great rockin' last night, so I won't go through the second set song by song. You can check the set list.
The stage got really filled up by ...... a bevy of top notch performers. Led by Waddy, they all shined like the true pros they are.
Ron Dziubla arrived to blow sax alongside Mindi after an earlier gig he did for his own cd release party. Two great horn players! Nice!
WWB did one new song in the second they hadn't played for us before. "Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots. I'd never heard that song before, but WWB rocked it!
I woke up singing "It's all so beautiful" from "Itchycoo Park" - a song they played in the second set. Big smiles - because it was all so beautiful!
An interesting thing Bernard did during his lead vocals on "She's So Cold" - love that song! He broke into a reggae part midway through, with Waddy setting the tempo on guitar. Fun!
When Blondie gave an incredibly emotional lead vocal on "A Change Is Gonna Come" he and Waddy had fun exchanging vocals and guitar riffs. Wow! Wonderful stuff.
With all those great singers up there all night, Waddy did provide us with one lead vocal on a song - thank goodness! "Like a Rolling Stone." Thank you, Waddy!
Before the last song, Waddy gave praise to all the very talented people who joined him on that stage to give us such a fantastic performance. Hurrahs from all of us! And he thanked us too for being there. Hurrah to all of you!
A perfect ending to the night was "Rockin' In the Free World." Everyone sang along as Bernard held the mic out to us...... "Keep on rockin' in the free world."
And as Waddy said before leaving the stage: "Keep rockin'! We'll be lookin' for you in February."
On all songs:
Waddy Wachtel - Lead Guitar
Phil Jones - Drums
Rick Rosas - Bass
1. "Highway To Hell" (AC/DC) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals; Brett Tuggle guitar
2. “Rip This Joint” (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards; Mindi Abair tenor saxophone and harmony vocals
3. “Heroes" (David Bowie) Bernard Fowler lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
4. "You Got Me Rockin'" (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar; Blondie Chaplin harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
5. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Blondie lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar
6. "Sail On Sailor" (The Beach Boys) Blondie lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
7. "All the Way to Memphis" (Ian Hunter) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Mindi alto saxophone and harmony vocals
8. “Run Run Rudolph” (Chuck Berry) Keith Allison lead vocals and guitar; Brett keyboards; Mindi alto saxophone
9. "Parachute Woman" (The Rolling Stones) Keith Allison lead vocals, guitar and harmonica; Brett keyboards
10. "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Brett keyboards
11. “I Am The Walrus” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy harmony vocals
1. "When the Levee Breaks" (Led Zeppelin [written by Kansas Joe McCoy, Memphis Minnie]) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy slide Telecaster guitar; Brett guitar; Ron Dziubla tenor saxophone
2. "Bitch" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals; Mindi tenor saxophone; Ron baritone saxophone
3. "Vasoline" (Stone Temple Pilots) Bernard lead vocals; Jamie harmony vocals; Brett guitar
4. "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody" (Isaac Hayes, David Porter [recorded by Sam and Dave]) Bernard and Blondie lead harmony vocals; Brett keyboards; Mindi tenor saxophone; Ron tenor saxophone
5. "She's So Cold" (The Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar
6. “Itchycoo Park” (Small Faces) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
7. "Lady Madonna" (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Mindi alto saxophone; Ron tenor saxophone
8. "Gotta Get You Into My Life" (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Mindi tenor saxophone; Ron tenor saxophone
9. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals
10. “A Change Is Gonna Come” (Sam Cooke) Blondie lead vocals and guitar; Brett keyboards; Mindi alto saxophone; Ron tenor saxophone
11. “The Shape I'm In” (The Band) Keith lead vocals and guitar; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals; Mindi tenor saxophone; Ron tenor saxophone
12. "Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) Waddy lead vocals, Brett keyboards
13. "Rockin' In the Free World" (Neil Young) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy, Jamie and Blondie harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals
Let's not forget to thank......
John Philbrick, Charlie Wood and Charlie McIntosh for their valuable assistance in making everything run smoothly Saturday night.
And to Ondrea, Fernando, George and Andy and all the good people who make The Joint such a cool place to put on these shows.
Thank you, sweet rock 'n' rollers! See you in February!
Photos by Robert Bruns......
Click any photo to enlarge.......
Videos from 1/19/13.....
"All the Way To Memphis"
"Rockin' in the Free World"
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |