/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - June 2009
Note from Nina:
First and foremost news:
The Waddy Wachtel Band WILL be at The Joint on Monday June 15, 2009. :-D (But - sorry, no gig on June 8.)
We had a great party last night! It had been 5 weeks since we’d all gotten together, and everyone was definitely hungry for some great rock ‘n’ roll. And the Waddy Wachtel Band had us burnin’, movin’ and sayin’ “Thank You!” all night.
All the guys in the band were thankful too...... Waddy is constantly telling us we’re the BEST audience. And we are! How could anyone not be clapping and stomping when WWB plays? Impossible.
It was fantastic to be celebrating the completion of 9 years of rockin’ it up at The Joint on Monday nights..... and as Bernard reminded us - we’re on to year 10. Yay! Many familiar faces in the crowd - lots of us having been there with the band for 9 years / several for a few years / and some newcomers. One thing is for sure......... Anyone who catches one of these shows keeps wanting MORE!
Our birthday boys - Waddy Wachtel (May 24) and Phil Jones (June 6) made us so happy to be sharing their continuous talent over the years. Phil Jones is the epitome of what a rock ‘n’ roll drummer should strive for.
Since the band won’t be performing next Monday June 8, I’ll give you all a little history of the Waddy Wachtel Band in my news update next week.
As for last night......
The energy started out really high as the band blasted (yes, loud and luscious) through their sound check. As the throngs of people kept arriving, the energy intensified until....... WHAM! the first chords of the first tune brought all attention to the stage. Big smiles...... from us to them and from them to us.
All the guys..........
Waddy Wachtel - vocals, guitar
Bernard Fowler - vocals, percussion
Phil Jones - drums
Jamie Savko - vocals, percussion
Al Ortiz - bass, vocals
Keith Allison - vocals, guitar
........ were in top form. Well, they’re always in top form.
1. “Supermassive Black Hole” (Muse) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel and Al Ortiz harmony vocals
2. "Rocks Off" (Rolling Stones) Waddy and Jamie vocals; Al harmony vocals
3. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
4. "Jail Break" (Thin Lizzy) Bernard Fowler lead vocals; Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals
5. "I Need To Know" (Tom Petty) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
6. “Wild Horses” (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals
7. "Up On Cripple Creek" (The Band) Keith Allison lead vocals, guitar; Waddy harmony vocals
8. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) Keith lead vocals, guitar; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar
9. "Honky Tonk Woman" (Rolling Stones) Jamie and Waddy vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
10. "Shot Down in Flames" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals
1. “Live Wire” (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
2. "Heroes" (David Bowie) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
3. "She's So Cold" (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
4. "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals
5. "Eight Miles High" (The Byrds) Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals
6. “Just Like Me” (Paul Revere and the Raiders) Keith lead vocals,guitar
7. “Small” (Bernard Fowler) Bernard lead vocals
8. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals
9. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Bernard lead vocals
Notes on the Set List.......
“Supermassive Black Hole” - WWB first played that Muse tune in late 2007, but they hadn’t played it in a while. Great to hear it again.
“Small” - A tune written by Bernard Fowler and included on his cd Friends With Privieges. I think we’ll be privileged to hear more of Bernard’s compositions on Monday nights, and some of Waddy’s as well.
“Lawyers Guns and Money” - It’s always wonderful hearing Waddy Wachtel sing lead vocals, and especially nice hearing him pay such a great tribute to his friend Warren Zevon. And....... incredible guitar solos on every tune. People saying: “Damn! Did you hear what Waddy just played? Incredible!”
Al Ortiz came up to the mic and sang harmony vocals on a few tunes. Yes, the boy can sing! And wail on bass.
“Live Wire” - Jamie Savko showed that even though he’s one of the newest members of the band - his exciting vocals make us all glad he’s there...... and will be for a long time to come.
“Just Like Me” - Keith Allison was in Paul Revere and the Raiders, and it’s always a special treat to hear him rock through one of their tunes again.
“Sin City” - Bernard always burns with his vocals on this tune, and after reminding us of how grateful he is to have been performing on Monday nights for so long (as well as giving credit to the other wonderful musicians who’ve been there with them and the fantastic audience).......... He did something he hasn’t done in a long time. He jumped onto the bar and pranced along singing and holding the mic for everyone to join in.
Wow! What a perfect end for a perfect rockin’ night.
See you all on June 15!!!!!!!!
To Alan and Elaine, who came all the way from Newcastle. Alan sent a review of last night’s gig to Cynthia Fox at KLOS 95.5FM, and Cynthia gave a fantastic spiel about it on her radio show this morning. Big thanks to Cynthia too! Spread the word about the greatest show in town. Everyone will thank you for it.
And thanks to all of you from the guys in the band for coming down and rockin’ it up with them. People from around the corner and half way around the globe. Love seeing all of you there!
Note from Nina:
Just walking into The Joint on a Monday night....... finding Waddy and the guys there with big rock ‘n’ roll smiles....... and watching everyone arrive is like a magical experience. The minute you walk in the door, everything changes. It’s like........ Leave all the shit behind....... We’re gonna ROCK AND ROLL! Always!
From the moment Waddy hit the first chords of the first tune of the first set - “Live Wire” - that live wire hit everyone like a delightful electricity. Waddy burned through 2 solos on that tune, and Jamie’s vocals electrified everyone. No warm-up tunes needed for the Waddy Wachtel Band.
You can read through the set list to remember all the great tunes we had the pleasure of hearing them play last night. Or, if you couldn’t be there, say: “Damn! I’m so sorry I missed that fantastic show!”
Our regular line up was:
Waddy Wachtel - Lead, Rhythm and Slide Guitar, Lead and Harmony Vocals
Bernard Fowler - Lead Vocals
Phil Jones - Burnin’ Drums
Jamie Savko - Lead and Harmony Vocals
Al Ortiz - Bass and Harmony Vocals
Keith Allison - Lead Vocals and Rhythm Guitar
Tariqh Akoni joined the band on several tunes, adding both rhythm and lead guitar. This is the first time Tariqh has played with WWB, although he’s played with Bernard in the past, and he’ll be back with us again. He rocks!
A new tune was added last night the band hadn’t played before - “The Shape I’m In.” Keith Allison put so much energy into it, people were thrilled. Great tune by Keith.
Here’s the set list....... with more info below it.
1. “Live Wire” (AC/DC) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel and Al Ortiz harmony vocals
2. “Substitute” (The Who) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Al harmony vocals
3. “Supermassive Black Hole” (Muse) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Al harmony vocals
4. "Jail Break" (Thin Lizzy) Bernard Fowler lead vocals; Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals; Tariqh Akoni rhythm guitar
5. “Small” (Bernard Fowler) Bernard lead vocals; Tariqh Akoni rhythm guitar
6. "I Need To Know" (Tom Petty) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Tariqh Akoni rhythm guitar
7. “The Shape I’m In” (The Band) Keith Allison lead vocals; Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals
8. "Somethin' Else" (Eddie Cochran) Keith Allison lead vocals
9. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals
10. "She's So Cold" (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
1. "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals
2. "You Shook Me" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
3. "Heroes" (David Bowie) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Tariqh rhythm guitar
4. "Down Payment Blues" (AC/DC) Bernard vocals; Tariqh rhythm guitar
5. "Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) Waddy lead vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
6. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) Keith lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
7. "All Down the Line" (Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
8. "Rover" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals
9. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Bernard lead vocals; Tariqh rhythm guitar
The bad news is........ The Waddy Wachtel Band won’t be performing on another Monday night in June. I know - bummer! But they’ll be back in July!!!!!!!! I’ll let you know as soon as the next gig is comfirmed.
Waddy Wachtel performed two tunes with his old friend J. D. Souther last Saturday night 6/13/09 at the El Rey Theater in Los Angeles. After a sweet set of ballads by J. D., Waddy plugged it in and they rocked!
Rick Rosas is winding up his tour with Neil Young in Europe, so he’ll be back with us in July.
Al Ortiz flew out to Biloxi to perform with Johnny Rivers at the Hard Rock Casino on Friday 6/12/09.
Special thanks to.......
Mark Nathanson for doing such a fantastic sound mix last night.
John Philbrick and Charlie Wood for keeping all the band’s instruments ready to rock us all.
Charlie for greeting us with that sweet smile at the door.
And you wonderful rockers who have come from all over the world to share in this so very special experience with us. Everyone in the Waddy Wachtel Band says: “We love you! We couldn’t be here without you!”
See you soon.
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |