/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - March 2010
Note from Nina:
The Waddy Wachtel Band will NOT be at The Joint next Monday 3/15/10.
I’ll let you know as soon as the next gig is confirmed.
We had a great crowd at the gig last night 3/8/10. Everyone was so happy to be there, with big smiles and appreciation to the Waddy Wachtel Band for once again startiing off our week with what we all want and need...... the best band playing the best tunes. Oh yeah! We’ll sail through the rest of the week with those smiles on our faces, won’t we? Yesss!!!!!
If you weren’t there, you missed a great night of Rock ‘n’ Roll. Don’t miss another one.
WWB added 2 new songs......
“No Reply” (The Beatles) featured Waddy Wachtel and Jamie Savko singing smoooooth harmony vocals. Perfection! We gave them a reply..... “We loved it!”
“Charlie’s Medicine” (Warren Zevon) featured Waddy singing with such emotional sensitivity that it gave us all goosebumps. At the end of the song Waddy said: “Thank you, Warren. We miss you, buddy.” With a tear in his eye. Sweet.
Being the incredible musicians they are, the band worked up those 2 new tunes during sound check last night. And they played them perfectly!
I also have to say......
Waddy Wachtel was burnin’ hot - not only on vocals (including singing his own composition “High Maintenance Girlfriend”) - but his guitar solos always amaze and delight. My favorite of the night was watching his fingers during his solos on “Eight Miles High.” Lightning fast! And not like those guitar players who try to show how fast they can play - and who end up sounding like they’re practicing to a metronome. No...... Waddy hits notes that make you go ...... WTF was that!?! And it just pours out of him so naturally. It makes all of our ears soooo Happy!
Jamie Savko wailed powerfully through his vocals on “Shot Down In Flames” and “Live Wire” - making us tingle. Then he softly sang harmonies with Waddy on “No Reply” and “Eight Miles High” - making us warm all over. I’ve said it before....... Jamie can sing anything!
Phil Jones bangs on the drums loud and ferocious, thrilling us with his incrdible rolls at the end of the tunes. Then he shows what a great drummer he is by toning it down for the slower tunes and still making his magic.
Rick Rosas fills in on bass for the absence of a rhythm guitar on most of the tunes, and he’s so masterful at playing bass that no one misses the additional guitar. He can play it slow and sustained or attack those strings wih electric speed, like on “Eight Miles High.”
Keith Allison (“our Southern man”) takes the stage, and everone yells “Keith! Keith! Keith!” His big smile, energy and great vocals and guitar playing make everyone happy. And his harmony vocals on “When Will I Be Loved” ......... Gotta love the dude!
1.”Bitch” (The Rolling Stones) - Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals
2. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
3. “No Reply” (The Beatles) Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals
4. “Supermassive Black Hole” (Muse) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
5. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals
6. “When Will I Be Loved” (Everly Brothers) - Keith Allison and Jamie harmony vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
7. “Just Like Me” (Paul Revere and the Raiders) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar
8. "Eight Miles High" (The Byrds) Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals
1. “Live Wire” (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
2. “High Maintenance Girlfriend” (Waddy Wachtel) - Waddy lead vocals; Jamie harmony vocals
3. “Honky Tonk Women" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
4. “Shot Down in Flames” (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals
5. “Charlie’s Medicine” (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals
6. “The Shape I’m In” (The Band) Keith Allison lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals
7. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar
8. "Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) Waddy lead vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
9. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals
We hope to see all of you at the next WWB gig. And tell your friends to come, too. They’ll be forever grateful to you for turning them on to this wonderful night of Rock ‘n’ Roll.
More news and updates for the next WWB gig soon.
Note from Nina:
The Waddy Wachtel Band WILL be performing at The Joint in Los Angeles next Monday night April 5, 2010. More fantastic Rock ‘n’ Roll for all........ Yay! So don’t eat too many of those Marshmallow Peeps.
Need I tell you that the Waddy Wachtel Band was burnin’ HOT last night? No? You know how great they always are. But I’ll tell you anyway.
Besides having Waddy Wachtel, Phil Jones, Rick Rosas, Jamie Savko and our regular special guest Keith Allison up on that stage showing how those tunes should be played (Electrifying!), it was so wonderful to have Brett Tuggle back with us again. Brett will be back with us next week, and it looks like he’ll be with us regularly. He said: “I sure missed you fucks!” It was one of those times we didn’t mind being called “fucks”. Hehe.
With Brett’s return rockin’ things up on keyboards, guitar and vocals, we got treated to some of the tunes we hadn’t heard since he was last with us. Delicious and delightful! “Revolution” and “I Am The Walrus” - great playing and vocals. And...... “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Brett always nails that synth part.
We also got treated to a song WWB hasn’t played before. “In The City.” The vocal harmonies by Jamie, Waddy and Brett were so fine - they sounded like an engineer had mixed them for hours in the studio. But these guys do that on the natch right up on that stage..... for us!
Other highlights for me........
Waddy Wachtel is known for his burnin’ guitar solos, and he never lets us down. I got so carried away by his solo on “Eight Miles High” that I kind of fell backwards - fortunately onto my friend (and a regular) Jerry. Was I high? You bet! On Waddy’s notes! Besides burnin’ on that guitar, Waddy has an incredible voice. His vocals on “Lawyers, Guns and Money” and “Just Like a Woman” were impeccable. And his vocal harmonies on the other tunes? I’ve still got goosebumps.
Phil Jones always blows me away when he bangs those drums, but what he played on “Won’t Get Fooled Again” made me say: “Keith who?” And Keith Moon is one of my favorite drummers. Phil can play anything..... Oh yeah!
Rick Rosas, who usually stands in the background pumping out those bass notes that fill the whole room, came up front on “Poor Poor Pitiful Me” and let us see how fast and powerful his playing is. Not to mention his great playing on “Eight Miles High.” Oh.... I mentioned it. Gotta give Rick lots of credit.
Jamie Savko was on fire last night, moving to center front stage and wailing on his vocals - even making the rest of the band smile and go WTF? Crystal clarity and perfect phrasing. When he sang “Yeahhhhh!” in “Won’t Get Fooled Again” it felt like he could make the note sustain forever.
Brett Tuggle - I already told you how great he was. We all welcomed Brett back with big smiles. One other thing...... When Brett sings “I Am the Walrus” he mesmerizes everyone.
Keith Allison brings another dimension to the music when he gets up there with WWB. His rendition of “Somethin’ Else” is somethin’ else. We love it! Waddy said when he introduced Keith on that song: “I heard this tune on the radio yesterday, and no one can do it like our Southern Man.... Keith Allison.” Yup! Lucky we are to have him there with us.
Lucky we are to have all those great guys in WWB up there!
Here’s the set list with some photos and extra notes below.......
1. “Live Wire” (AC/DC) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals; Brett Tuggle rhythm guitar
2. "Rocks Off" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Brett harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
3. “Misty Mountain Hop” (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
4. “Revolution” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy harmony vocals
5. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Waddy lead vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
6.“When Will I Be Loved” (The Everly Brothers) - Keith Allison and Jamie harmony vocals; Keith rhythm guitar
7. “The Shape I’m In” (The Band) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
8. “In The City” (Joe Walsh) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Brett harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar; Waddy slide guitar
9. “I Am The Walrus” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards
1. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” (The Who) Jamie lead vocals; Brett keyboards
2. “Till The End Of The Day” (The Kinks) Brett lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals
3. "Bitch" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett lead guitar
4. “Just Like A Woman” (Bob Dylan) Waddy lead vocals; Brett keyboards
5. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Brett harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
6. “Somethin’ Else” (Eddie Cochran) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Brett keyboards
7. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) Keith lead vocals and rhythm guitar; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar; Brett harmony vocals
8. "Eight Miles High" (The Byrds) Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
9. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Brett rhythm guitar
On a personal note I want to thank all of you for thanking me for sending out these reviews and gig updates. Thank you! I’m like a conduit...... I love WWB’s music so much I just can’t resist sharing all the music and smiles with as many people as possible. I’m very lucky the guys let me do this for them. And we’re all very lucky to have all of you rockers..... still rockin’ with us.
For those of you on the East Coast who have asked when you can see Waddy performing there......
Bernard Fowler will be doing a gig in NYC at the Canal Room on May 25, 2010. He’ll be bringing Waddy, Phil Jones, Al Ortiz and Robert Davis as his backing band. This isn’t a Waddy Wachtel Band gig, but Bernard will be performing some of his own compositions and other Classic Rock tunes. It should be a great gig, and an opportunity for those of you there to get a taste of what we get on Monday nights in L.A.
Keith Allison can be heard on a new release of Paul Revere and The Raiders hits on a 3 cd set - Complete Columbia Singles. It’s available at amazon.
Okay..... I can’t believe I just wrote all of that! :-)
WWB keeps me buzzin’ !
See you on April 5th!!!!!!!!!!
Photos from 3/29/10. Click on any photo to enlarge.
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |