/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News - March 29, 2014
Notes from Nina:
A huge crowd of appreciative rock 'n' rollers squeezed into Harvelle's in Santa Monica Saturday night 3/29/14 to get Rocked Up by the amazing Waddy Wachtel Band. Those of us who've seen WWB before knew it was going to be a great night, and the newbies (we call WWB virgins) were blown away and want more. We all always want more of WWB!!!!!
I think some dust got shaken off the rafters at Harvelle's when WWB exploded on stage and proceeded to play 2 sets of verrrry rockin' tunes. Great tunes by a great band....... What more could anyone ask for? Nothin'!
First ...... Praise to the band:
Waddy Wachtel brought together his wonderful band - all some of the best musicians and singers there are. And Waddy always thrills everyone with his exceptional guitar playing. Sooooo hot! When he plugs in, we know we'll get electrified. He's incredible. And also a great vocalist. Thank you, Waddy!!!
Phil Jones blew the roof off banging on those drums. He brings new meaning to the lyric "I just want to bang on the drums all day." We want him to!
Rick Rosas made it look easy the way his fingers thumped those bass strings, but it ain't. Rick is a very talented player, and it's great to have him with WWB!
Jamie Savko deserves much praise for his lead vocals. People are always blown away by his range and how he can sustain those notes so crisply and clearly. Jamie came to the front of the stage, reaching out to us as he sang, and delivered perfect vocals on the AC/DC, Who, Led Zep and Stones songs. And to hear him sing "Love Hurts" was thrilling!
Brett Tuggle, master of keyboards, guitar and vocals, smiled through the whole night. We smiled right back at him, and were so happy to hear him wail through "I Am The Walrus." A true pro, Brett will be on tour with Fleetwood Mac later this year.
Blondie Chaplin puts so much emotion into his vocals - he gets everyone feeling it along with him. He can get nasty with "Lawyers, Guns and Money" then segue into the melancholy of "A Change Is Gonna Come." Yes, that's Blondie singing lead vocals on "Sail On Sailor" - the Beach Boys knew how great he is!
Keith Allison will always be rockin'! He has a very long career as musician, composer and singer - from the early days as a solo artist and with Paul Revere and the Raiders and The Monkees - to his recent work with Ringo Starr and others. His album Keith Allison In Action is being re-released on Real Gone Records with added tracks on 4/1/14. It's great having him come play and sing with WWB!
Denny Laine came and gave a wonderful performance playing keyboards and singing "Go Now." Denny was with The Moody Blues and Wings. "Go Now" was the second big hit for The Moody Blues. Denny said in an interview about the song "Go Now": "It came in one of these suitcases full of records from America. This guy, James Hamilton, he was a friend of B. Mitchel Reed, who was a DJ, and he would send this stuff across. So I picked that one out especially because Mike Pinder was a piano player. (chuckles) We'd always get the gig where the piano would be out of tune and we'd get the slow handclap because they were waiting to tune the piano… (laughs) Anyway, we did 'Go Now' because it was a song with a piano in it." We're all glad he did it with WWB - and the keyboard was in tune!
About a few of the songs:
The guys played a new one to start off the second set they hadn't played for us before. "Jail Break" by AC/DC. Wow! What a great one! Waddy wailed on guitar solos and harmony vocals with Jamie kicking ass on lead vocals!
As you probably heard, we had a decent size earthquake here in L.A. Friday night. When Waddy and Jamie sang "I Love L.A." everyone sang along "We love it!" Yeah, we love L.A. and we love WWB! We're used to quakes here, and the earth definitely quakes every time WWB plays!
I've got so many favorite songs WWB plays - like all of them! But I do need to mention one of most favorite. I love hearing Waddy sing "Live With Me." A very special treat for all of us!
Okay....... Here's the set lists.
On all songs:
Waddy Wachtel - Lead Guitar
Phil Jones - Drums
Rick Rosas - Bass
1. “Substitute” (The Who) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals; Brett Tuggle guitar and harmony vocals
2. "Girl's Got Rhythm" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals
3. “Misty Mountain Hop” (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Brett keyboards
4. "Bitch" (Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar and harmony vocals
5. "Go Now" (Larry Banks) Denny Laine lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy and Jaime harmony vocals
6. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Blondie Chaplin lead vocals; Brett guitar
7. "Sail On Sailor" (The Beach Boys) Blondie lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
8. “Crazy Mama” (J. J. Cale) Keith Allison lead vocals and guitar; Waddy slide guitar; Brett keyboards
9. "Kicks" (Paul Revere and the Raiders) Keith lead vocals and guitar; Jamie harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
10. "Problem Child" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar
11. “I Am The Walrus” (The Beatles) Brett lead vocals and keyboards; Waddy harmony vocals
1, "Jail Break" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals
2. "I Love L.A." (Randy Newman) Waddy and Jamie lead harmony vocals; Audience harmony vocals
3. “Live With Me” (The Rolling Stones) Waddy lead vocals; Jamie harmony vocals; Brett keyboards
4. "The Ocean" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett guitar
5. “A Change Is Gonna Come” (Sam Cooke) Blondie lead vocals and guitar; Brett keyboards
6. “Itchycoo Park” (Small Faces) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals
7. “Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) Keith lead vocals and guitar; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar; Brett harmony vocals
8. "Love Hurts" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) Jamie lead vocals; Brett guitar
9. “Honky Tonk Women" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Brett keyboards and harmony vocals; Blondie harmony vocals
10. "Sin City" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Brett guitar
Thank all of you who came to Rock It Up with us. WWB loves you!
Thanks to the crew who assisted the band at the gig. Norm Sancho and Steve Dikun were right on the spot at every moment helping with the gear and making everything run smoothly. Treasures!
Thanks also to the folks at Harvelle's who provided a nice venue and great service.
I'll let you know the date and location of the next Waddy Wachtel Band show as soon as it's confirmed so you can make plans to be there.
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |