/ Credits / Gigs / Songs
Reviews and News -September 19, 2014
Note from Nina:
It had been so hot in Los Angeles you could fry an egg on the sidewalk (excuse the cliche). It cooled off a bit on Friday, September 19, and was perfect weather for.......
The Waddy Wachtel Band to heat things up at The Joint (recently Black Rose Tavern) with an electrifying performance of 2 sets of great songs by a GREAT band! All of us rock 'n' rollers loved that kind of heat!!!!!
Electricity began when the band hit the stage with "Live Wire." Those live wires up on the stage were burning so good. Jamie Savko thrilled all with his amazing vocals, and Waddy Wachtel made those guitar strings sound like live wires that sent tingles through our bodies.
Buzzing along the train track on the next song "All Down the Line," Jamie and Waddy on harmony vocals were killer. And Ron Dziubla blowing on sax increased the heat.
Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin then took center stage to sing "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody." They told us! And we're glad they did. Fantastic harmony vocals from those two dudes...... Sam and Dave would be proud of their rendition. Plus a blazing sax solo by Ron.
More from Bernard who blazed though Bowie's "Blue Jean" and The Stones "You Got Me Rockin'." We weren't blue - we were red hot! We pointed at the band singing "You Got Me Rockin" and Bernard pointed back at us. All rockin' together. Perfect symbiosis!
Blondie showed his vocal prowess while singing lead vocals on Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money." One of Warren's best songs - and always done exquisitely by Blondie.
How about some Bee Gees? Yes! Bernard and Blondie got us all feeling the love when they sang "To Love Somebody" with Waddy adding love-ly harmony vocals. Another factoid about the Bee Gees: Waddy played on 2 songs on their 1997 album Still Waters. Check out "Miracles Happen." You can listen to them on Waddy's web site on this page:
There's no substitute for WWB, and when they play "Substitute" we know there isn't. Jamie raises the roof with his vocals, Waddy burns on that guitar and harmony vocals, Al Ortiz plays the shit out of that bass, Ron wails on rhythm guitar and....... Much praise to Phil Jones who captures every drum beat like the amazing drummer he is!
"I Can't Let Go" is a great song by The Hollies. You gotta hear Bernard sing this with Waddy and Jamie harmonizing on vocals. Damn! Sooooo gooood! We were all reaching out to them..... definitely not wanting to let go.
But the first set must come to an end. Jamie ended the set with spine tingling vocals on Zep's "The Ocean." Gotta have Zep in Zeptember. No cooling off in the ocean for us. WWB had us so electrified we wanted the second set! Yes, more please!
Surprise opening for the second set. Waddy brought us a song they hadn't played before. "Lola" by the Kinks. Waddy sang rockin' lead vocals, with everyone in the audience singing along "L-O-L-A Lola." Fun!
Jamie then broke out on lead vocals on AC/DC's "Jailbreak." Great vocals by Jamie with Waddy adding harmony vocals, and wow! A stinging electrifying incredible guitar solo by Waddy!
Bernard treated us with a favorite of the crowd (he does so many songs we love) Bowie's "Heroes." Just for one day...... as we all felt it with him. Our heroes - WWB!
Then we got rocked through "Street Fighting Man" and a beautiful segue into "A Change Is Gonna Come."
More Zep when Jamie did a superb job of vocals on "Immigrant Song" and Waddy played a guitar solo that made everyone's jaws drop open. What talent!
We got on the "Highway To Hell," rode some "Wild Horses" and ended the night rockin' through the "Down Payment Blues." The only thing we were blue about was that the night was over.
But not to worry....... Waddy said how glad he was that we were all there, and promised they'd be back rockin' with us again soon. Yes, please! :-)
On all songs:
Waddy Wachtel - Lead Guitar
Phil Jones - Drums
Al Ortiz - Bass
1. “Live Wire” (AC/DC) Jamie Savko lead vocals; Waddy Wachtel harmony vocals; Ron Dzuibla guitar and harmony vocals
2. "All Down the Line" (The Rolling Stones) Jamie and Waddy harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
3. "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody" (Isaac Hayes, David Porter [recorded by Sam and Dave]) Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin lead harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
4. "Blue Jean" (David Bowie) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy, Jamie and Blondie harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
5. "You Got Me Rockin'" (The Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals and slide guitar; Blondie harmony vocals; Ron guitar
6. "Lawyers Guns and Money" (Warren Zevon) Blondie lead vocals; Ron guitar
7. "To Love Somebody" (The Bee Gees) Bernard and Blondie lead harmony vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron guitar
8. “Substitute” (The Who) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Al Ortiz harmony vocals; Ron guitar
9. "I Can't Let Go" (The Hollies) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy and Jamie harmony vocals; Ron guitar
10. "The Ocean" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Al harmony vocals; Ron guitar
1. "Lola" (The Kinks) Waddy lead vocals; Jamie harmony vocals; Ron guitar
2. "Jailbreak" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy and Al harmony vocals; Ron guitar
3. “Heroes" (David Bowie) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
4. “Street Fighting Man” (Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy and Blondie harmony vocals; Ron saxophone
5. "A Change Is Gonna Come" (Sam Cooke) Blondie lead vocals and guitar
6. "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin) Jamie lead vocals; Ron guitar
7. "Highway To Hell" (AC/DC) Jamie lead vocals; Waddy harmony vocals; Ron guitar
8. "Wild Horses" (The Rolling Stones) Bernard lead vocals; Waddy and Blondie harmony vocals; Ron guitar
9. "Down Payment Blues" (AC/DC) Bernard lead vocals; Blondie harmony vocals; Ron guitar
Thank you to those who help make these shows rock:
John Philbrick for being so on top of keeping the guitars and amps in tip top shape.
Mark Nathanson for making the sound zing.
Charlie McIntosh for welcoming everyone with a big smile, and his lovely assistant Anna Whalen.
Ondrea and Fernando for providing such a beautiful venue.
All the barmaids, crew and security guys at The Joint for their smiles and hospitality.
And especially....... All you Rockers who come to these gigs and share your wonderful energy and keep rockin' with WWB. You make these shows possible and delightful!
I'll let you know when the next WWB show is going to be.
| WWB May 2008 | WWB April 2008 | WWB March 2008 | WWB February 2008 | WWB January 2008 | WWB December 2007 | WWB November 2007 | WWB October 2007 | WWB September 2007 | WWB August 2007 | WWB July 2007 | WWB June 2007 | WWB May 2007 | WWB April 2007 | WWB January 2007 | WWB 2006 | WWB July 2008 | WWB August 2008 | WWB September 2008 | WWB November 2008 | WWB December 2008 | WWB January 2009 | WWB February 2009 | WWB March 2009 | WWB April 2009 | WWB June 2009 | WWB July 2009 | WWB August 2009 | WWB November 2009 | WWB December 2009 | WWB Guests | WWB January 2010 | WWB February 2010 | WWB March 2010 | WWB April 2010 | WWB May 2010 | WWB June 2010 | WWB February 2007 | WWB March 2007 | WWB July 2010 | WWB September 2010 | WWB October 2010 | WWB November 2010 | WWB December 2010 | WWB January 2011 | WWB February 2011 | WWB June 2011 | WWB July 2011 | WWB September 2011 | WWB October 2011 | WWB January 2012 | WWB February 2012 | WWB March 2012 | WWB May 2012 | WWB May 2012 2 | WWB June 2012 | WWB August 2012 | WWBOctober2012 | WWB November 2012 | WWBDecember2012 | WWBJanuary2013 | WWBFebruary2013 | WWBApril2013 | WWBApril26-2013 | WWBJune222013 | WWB August24 2013 | WWB October11 2013 | WWB November16 2013 | WWBNovember302013 | WWBDecember212013 | WWBJanuary252014 | WWBMarch292014 | WWBAugust22014 | WWBSeptember192014 | WWBJanuary102015 |
| Special Guests Page 1 | Waddy Wachtel Band Reviews and News | About the Waddy Wachtel Band | Waddy Wachtel Band Videos | Brett Tuggle | Keith Allison | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2009 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2010 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2011 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2012 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2013 | Waddy Wachtel Band Posters 2014 |
| Return Home | Discography / Credits / Gigs / Songs | Articles / Interviews | Photos / Videos | Contact | Waddy Wachtel Band | Search | Mailing List |